Welcome to the

Quincy Underground Railroad Museum Dr. Richard Eells House

Come see one of the first documented Underground Railroad sites in the nation.

Learn the true story of the people who sought freedom and those who tried to help them.

Operating Hours

April - November
Saturdays, 1:00 - 4:00 pm
Please call for other times.

Suggested donation is $7 per person

Student Tours Are Always Free

School Tours

Recommended for 6th grade and up.
Be sure to inquire about gas money available from Arts Quincy.

Play Video

History of Dr. Eells House

On August 21, 1842, a slave named Charles swam the treacherous Mississippi River and made his way to Quincy. Soaking wet, no doubt confused and lost, Charles approached a free black man named Barryman Barnett. He led Charles to the house of Dr. Richard Eells.

Join Our Community

Help us preserve this place and tell this story.
Become a member of The Friends of the Dr. Richard Eells House today.